CHRISTMAS DECORATING AT HOME

Thursday 8 December 2016

One of my favorite times of the year has arrived. I love Christmas in the UK, but not so much back in the islands, my house is here and it is where I can get to decorate it and enjoy it just before I leave. I like visiting the different events in the capital, admire the lights, and feel the cold, as once I get to Gran Canaria, the mood change into flip flops, beach and sun cream...

I don't tend to spend Christmas in the UK, as part of my family lives in Gran Canaria, and the rest in Germany, so traveling is always on the cards for me.

I start thinking of Christmas around October (I should do it much earlier, to get things ready for the shop, but I never manage). I choose a theme, and get the decorations out, I buy a few new things each year, and plan a bit how I am going to decorate the space, then of course nothing happens until later in December...

Since I travel, I never buy a tree in London, but I always decorate the house, even if it is just for a few weeks before leaving. I am not so much into colours, and prefer to keep the space neutral, maybe that will change in the future, but right now I like to keep things simple. This year, I have recycled some of my old decorations, and added some greens I bought in the local florist together with my cushions, lampshade and wall hooks.

The black & white landscape lampshade is from my shop, the white ceramic mug is from talented Byung, and the rest of the objects I found in vintage shops and car-boot sales. The glass dome I bought almost 17 years ago!

Following the simple neutral theme this year, I chose some mono-crome wall hooks, and added some handmade decorations, and greens. My mother made the Christmas stoking this Summer, I am taking them with me as she made one for each of us.
I am very pleased with the enchanted village wall hooks, a collaboration I recently did with designer Sian Zeng,  they are available at my shop online, where you can find a much bigger selection of colours and shapes.
I desperately needed a plan chest to store my art prints, so when the school around the corner was getting rid of it, I snapped it up just at the right time. It was covered in dirt, old paint etc...but nothing that can't be fixed after many hours of scratching, sanding and cleaning. 

This is the last post from London, so see you all from Gran Canaria, I hope you have fun decorating your homes, and remember to follow me on Instagram for some adventures under the SUN!
Photos by Piero Pierini

No comments:

Post a Comment